top of page
  • gemtechconcordia

A Short Guide For International Students I

Updated: Oct 27, 2020

Welcome to the Film Studies department at Concordia University!


Because we don’t want you to feel totally out of place here goes the first part of our series dedicated to International Students.  In the second part we will be dealing with information regarding health services, and in the third one we will talk about finances, RA and TA contracts, and how to get your SIN number. Here we have prepared a brief five-step guide with useful information and basic links for you. 

1. As soon as you arrive, visit the International Students Office. The office is located in the Hall Building at Room H-653 and is open from Monday to Friday (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.) This is the place where you can obtain more information on campus, apart from a required stop for those of you who have just landed, as this is where you get your Health Insurance Card. As well, you can check their website with a large amount of information regarding Health Insurance, Immigration Documents, and how to get a Work Permit, among other things.

2. Download the “International Student Handbook” developed by the ISO which includes a lot of useful information:

3. Sign up to the ISO Information Bulleting. You will receive useful up-to-date information about deadlines, immigration regulations, activities and events of interest for you. These are the steps you have to follow:

  1. Send an e-mail (plain text) to Your message should read: subscribe isobulletin your email address and on a separate line write: end. Eg:

                          subscribe isobulletin

 end                                                           .

  1. Your email will be sent to a listserve software which only understands plain text, formatted emails, and certain commands, such as: subscribe, end; Do not write anything else in your email or it will be returned to you. The command ‘end’ is needed to stop ‘majordomo’ (software) from processing your signature as bad commands.

4. Get your Permanent Code. The Quebec government requires all students to have an identification code in order to fund the University. A surcharge of $319 per credit (amount subject to change) will be billed to students who do not provide the required permanent code information. To get the code you are required to submit:

  1. The completed Permanent Code Electronic Data Form. Available at (Under the MyConcordia Menu, click on Student Services and then Permanent Code Data Form.)

  2. Submit a legible photocopy of your Study Permit.

** If you have any questions please feel free to leave them in the comments section and we will try to answer them or direct you to someone who can. Thank you.

1 view0 comments


bottom of page